Learning and Development
We understand that getting the best for our residents means getting the best from you- nurturing your talents, encouraging professional development and investing in our leaders of the future.
That’s why we are continually developing our offer to support all areas of the Council through a targeted, innovative way of delivering Learning & Development.
Our specialist internal Learning and Development team design, deliver and continually evaluate the L&D activity to make sure we meet the services needs and offer the best professional development support we can.
If you have the commitment, passion and ambition to help us achieve our vision, we’ll invest the commitment and passion into developing you.
Our Learning & Development programme includes:
- Introduction to Swindon Manager – all managers have an induction into management
- Leadership Development programmes
- Apprenticeships at all levels, including degree apprenticeships for new and existing staff
- Access to coaching – a pool of trained internal coaches to work on personal and professional development
- Mentor network – opportunities for staff to receive a matched mentor to support them in their professional development
Rewards and Benefits
We are committed to providing our employees with a diverse and exciting environment in which to work, encouraging creativity and innovation, whilst recognising the need to support ongoing personal development and a flexible work life balance
Our current benefits include:
- 25 days annual leave per annum (31 days for Director Level)
- Opportunity to purchase additional annual leave
- Local government pension scheme (LGPS)
- Free car parking at our Wat Tyler House campus
- Leisure discounts
- Legal Services discounts
- Eating Out, Shopping and Entertainment discounts
In addition, with our family friendly policies we help you get the most out of your family life by offering the following:
- Flexible working
- Parental leave, adoption leave and compassionate leave
- Career breaks
- An Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), for free advice from trained professionals
- Stress management programmes
- A commitment to the health and wellbeing of our employees
Our employees really value the flexibility that we are able to offer (subject to business needs), below are some direct quotes from our staff on the benefits of flexible working for them:
"Flexible working is essential for me to maintain my work life balance as sole carer to young children still at School."
"It has allowed me to do my job and undertake a professional qualification."
"It means a lot to me, as I can avoid rush hour journeys, spend less time on public transport and arrive to work refreshed."
Equality and Diversity
Swindon Borough Council recognises that to be a great place to work, we need people from all backgrounds and experiences to challenge current ways of thinking and bring fresh ideas and perspective.
We want you to feel comfortable to be your true self at work. That’s why we promote Equality, Diversity & Inclusion in all areas of our work and service delivery.
We will uphold the right of each employee to be judged on merit and competence, regardless of age, disability, race, sexuality, sex, gender identity, religion, marital status or maternity/pregnancy.
We will fulfil this responsibility by promoting equality of opportunity through our employment policies, practices and service delivery arrangements; making Swindon Borough Council a great place to work.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and will guarantee interviews to Disabled People who meet the minimum selection criteria for the job they have applied for. We are also a member of the Mindful Employers Initiative.
We are working to become an inclusive employer and applications are welcomed from a diverse range of communities, and in particular disabled people and black and minority ethnic applicants.